Wednesday 3 February 2010

Interview with Antony Spiteri (Floriana F.C.)

Probably now he is the manager of the season until this moment. Its his first time on the hardest league in Sunday League (first division of the Friendly League), and many quoted him as a team to be relegated but he has surprised everyone and now, after 21 games, he is confortably on the top of the league, with 12 points on the lead. Just one defeat, and only 3 goals scored against, when there is only 9 games to be played. Its possible that many records will fall this season at the hands of this young man.
The Sunday League Blog wanted to know who is this surprising manager, and whats his thoughts about the moment. The Blog found Antony Spiteri in Rickmansworth(Hertfordshire), and made some questions to this 20 years old guy.
Let´s heard what he have to say.

How does it feels to be on the top of the Friendly League, the most important private league in the game?
It's great knowing I've managed to come from basically nowhere and beat some of the greatest managers SL has seen. But I dont want to get too carried away as its far from over despite the 12 point lead! At the same time there is a great opportunity to break some records!

Has a newcomer to this league, were you expecting to be with 12 points in the lead with 9 games to the end?
No not at all, to be perfectly honest I was worried about a relegation battle for sure. I was rather happy to find out only 3 teams would be going down this season too. I even noticed on the forum I was someones favourite to go down, but I've managed to ride my luck surprising even myself taking pole position and recently opening a bit of breathing space at the top!

Who was your hardest opponent until now in the Friendly League?
Everyone has been a hard opponent! I have been really lucky in a few matches perfectly anticipating my oppositions tactics getting some big scorlines in the process. But seeing as Down and Dirty are my only loss so far I'm goign to have to pick smogger.

Did you spent a lot of time preparing your big games?
I cant lie, yes most games I did a bit of preperation into. But just because you spend ages doing fancy tactics doesnt mean you always win! I've learnt too much mucking around with tactics is too risky. So instead I try to focus on keeping my tactics fairly unpredictable rather than worrying about what my opponents have been up to.

What about conference 4, do you think you still can reach the title?
Who was the favorite to you there, and why?
Well tonight just so happens to be 1st vs 2nd! It's a must win for me! otherwise I will have to conceed Kookaburra all but have it in the bag. I knew it was going to be a tough season and after the 1st few games I had Stoke City down as my favourites to win the league, but forgetting to set up too often has cost them! now its Kookaburra who look destined for 4-1-1 this season.

You are still on the quarters of the CS against Kingsbury United, do you think you can win this major?
What was your biggest achievement in SL in the past? What is your objective for the future in SL?
I think I have a fairly good chance, I have often misunderestimated teams in the past just because they tend to stay clear of private leagues, but after losing to Red Moggy in the elite cup this season Kingsburry United will surely be a tough opposition indeed. Winning the final would be great, but I can't see it happenening yet, maybe when my players peak. I would like to reach the final though! Thats my thats my aim this season. Back in the past I won almost all there was to win on the oscar server appart from the inter conference and the world cup. So those are going to be my objectives during my time on smokey! Unfortunately for me my history was lost as my oscar team went computer :(

The blog catch him preparing his game against the top team of Conference 4. Could have been the game of the season in this Conference. Kookaburra was 4 points in the lead and Floriana was the team next in the table. Last night Kookaburra was visiting Spiteri at his home, and victory was the only result that Spiteri needed or he would lost a great chance to battle for Conference 4 title.
Antony was nervous, but he got a win by 2 goals, like you can see bellow. Now there is just one point between those two teams, and it looks like this conference will be a two horse racing till the end.




Thanks a lot Antony.

No comments: